FlashlightNews Forums A flashlight message board dedicated to the principles of democracy, equality and freedom of speech. Join us and help develop a community of flashlight enthusiasts committed to the growth of our hobby.
September 15, 2014, 07:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rayovac LED bulb replacement - 3VLED-1T  (Read 4118 times)
baterija
Flashaholic

« on: October 30, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »

I pieced together a Fulton anglehead light with parts from two old ones I had available.  One had a broken switch and the other I'll just say was worse for wear.  I started looking around for an LED replacement to make a long running emergency light since I didn't really NEED the light.  Some searching and reading followed and then I stumbled onto this module at Walmart and the price was right - $3.88. 

Package back lists it as 3VLED-1T and states 3V, .16A, .5 Watt.  Claim is 30 Lumens.  It's got what I can only call a mystery LED.  The beam is actually pretty good.  It's cool white but not wildly blue or purple tinted.  It's got a very pronounced hotspot with smooth spill. Aside from a darker ring around the hotspot it's a pretty clean beam.  It's certainly much cleaner than the old incan bulb.  Brightness is similar to the incan bulb by ceiling bounce.

Just 160mA draw against 14,000 mAh possible capacity would give a 87.5 hour runtime. Assuming it's not perfectly regulated and tails off towards the end this could potentially give some amazing useful run time.  I am not testing. Wink  For the price and ready availability it's definitely a winner.
ramit

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »

I pieced together a Fulton anglehead light with parts from two old ones I had available.  One had a broken switch and the other I'll just say was worse for wear.  I started looking around for an LED replacement to make a long running emergency light since I didn't really NEED the light.  Some searching and reading followed and then I stumbled onto this module at Walmart and the price was right - $3.88.  

Package back lists it as 3VLED-1T and states 3V, .16A, .5 Watt.  Claim is 30 Lumens.  It's got what I can only call a mystery LED.  The beam is actually pretty good.  It's cool white but not wildly blue or purple tinted.  It's got a very pronounced hotspot with smooth spill. Aside from a darker ring around the hotspot it's a pretty clean beam.  It's certainly much cleaner than the old incan bulb.  Brightness is similar to the incan bulb by ceiling bounce.

Just 160mA draw against 14,000 mAh possible capacity would give a 87.5 hour runtime. Assuming it's not perfectly regulated and tails off towards the end this could potentially give some amazing useful run time.  I am not testing. Wink  For the price and ready availability it's definitely a winner.

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
baterija ,  I found your post when I was trying to find more sources for these wallyworld LED bulbs from Rayovac.

I just wanted to "pile" on about these bulbs.
I tripped over them when picking over what was left at my local wallyworld after "Sandy" . Found them under a pile of other replacement bulbs and stuff on the bottom shelf.

I bought a few of both the 3v-30luman and 6v-40lumen bulbs, found what I could locally but nothing on the web.

I hit a few others, but could only get a few more 3v/30lumen bulbs, and couldn't dig up any more 6v/40lumen bulbs.
One wallyworld that had none, I spoke with the manager and she looked them up, and it said they showed having them in stock, but they couldn't find them in the back or anywhere on the floor.

Rayovac didn't even list these bulbs on their website when I searched.
Looking at wallyworlds website, it's a "promotional item" and subject to limited qty's and availability.

So in searching for more, I found that Dorcy makes what looks to be exact bulbs.

I'm waiting on the 6v bulbs, but I did finally get in a few of the Dorcy 3v bulbs, which look just like the Rayovac bulbs and seems to the same.

Found them on sale at "Ron's home and hardware" on line for 3.72 each, so bought a box of 6 of each of the 3v and 6v.

edit, added links...

Dorcy 41-1644 4.5-6.0V LED Repl Bulb @ Ron's Home and Hardware...
http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/Dorcy-41-1644-4-5-6-0V-LED-Repl-Bulb-p/134906.htm

Dorcy 41-1643 3V LED Repl Bulb
http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/Dorcy-41-1643-3V-LED-Repl-Bulb-p/134905.htm

Amazon and HD have them too online, but between 5.50 and 6.50.

I've retro-fitted a few of my 2cell flashlights and they are noticeable brighter, much lower current draw and a nice white light.

The 6v bulbs, used them in my 3cell mag light, again much lower current draw and a tad brighter and a nice white light. Not as noticeable as with the 3v maglites.

I had a few 6v flashlights that take either 4xD's or those 6vlantern batteries, again noticeable brighter, pierces the night better, much lower current draw over their stock incandescent bulbs.

Between all the lights I tried them in, and all being cleaner brighter (to different degrees) and much lower current draw, these inexpensive upgrade LED bulbs are a great bargain if you can get them for about about or under 4-5bux ea (if your only doing a couple of flashlights, even 6bux is worth it) ( but I got cartoon of flashlights and lanterns I've been slowly replacing with "LED from the factory models". ).

We have some 4xAA and 4xD (6v) lanterns, both types older with incandescent bulbs. Again, simple upgrade and get anywhere x9 the life on the AA lanterns  and over about 14x the life on the D lanterns... I stopped using them cause they were such battery eaters originally.
The AA lanterns were drawing .65 amps, and the D's were just over 1amp with their original incandescent bulbs.
The 6V Rayovac LED bulb is drawing .07amps on the 4x 1.5v Alkaline cells.

Both HD and wallyworld have a Rayovac branded lantern style LED flashlight now on sale, 4.50 at wallyworld and 5.88 at HD, they use a "35lumen" 6v led bulb... and for the 5bux, it's worth it just for the bulb. Looks like Rayovac wallyworld bulb.

I got in the Dorcy 3v 30 lumen bulbs in, and compared them to the 3v 30lumen Rayovac bulbs from wallyworld, and in my 2xDcell Mag lights (that were all incandescent ) they perform the same and much better than the incandescent bulbs.

The 6v 40 lumen Rayovacs have been worth their $3.88 , by tomorrow I should have the Dorcy 6v 40lumen bulbs in and I have a 2xD cell maglite and a couple more of the 4xAA lanterns to put them in and compare to the Rayovacs 6v bulbs.

So far in every case, it's been a great upgrade.

I know these aren't super lumen ultra bright LED bulbs, but to breath new life in battery eating flashlights... it's a great deal for under 4bux.
much longer run times.
much more rugged.
brighter / cleaner beam...

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:57:10 PM by ramit » Logged
ramit

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:18:54 PM »

got the 6v led Dorcy bulbs in, and they were the exact same as the rayovac bulbs, right down to the marking. Same for the 3v...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Join Our Forum

Due to the massive number of spam registrations we have received over the past few months, forum registration has been disabled.

If you wish to join us, just email flashlightnews (at) gmail.com with your desired user name and password, and we'll manually activate your membership as soon as we can.

FN / FNF Search

Custom Search
Search posts on our forum as well as press releases from FlashlightNews

Recent Topics

[September 02, 2014, 09:08:53 PM]

[August 21, 2014, 08:41:10 PM]

[August 13, 2014, 10:07:44 PM]

[August 07, 2014, 10:59:13 AM]

[July 23, 2014, 08:50:21 AM]

[July 23, 2014, 08:45:07 AM]

[July 04, 2014, 06:29:33 PM]

[June 10, 2014, 07:54:23 PM]

[May 30, 2014, 12:09:45 AM]

[May 30, 2014, 12:01:10 AM]

ShoutBox

Last 10 Shouts:

will

September 09, 2014, 08:59:55 PM
interesting. I still have and use a 'flip'phone, It just makes phone calls and crappy pictures. There is an APP in Florida tied to the parking meters. You can pay through the phone, It will also let you know when time is running out. Maybe time for me to get a 'smart' phone

nightcrawler

September 08, 2014, 11:28:27 AM
It's looking like Facebook and mobile apps are killing forums and smaller websites. I don't think it's just flashlights.

will

September 07, 2014, 11:50:29 PM
light-reviews and custom light factory look to be among the missing. Has the internet traffic really slowed down a lot for the remaining flashlight sites?

nightcrawler

September 03, 2014, 02:03:31 AM
And the last shout was almost two months ago... Grin

kaydee7

July 05, 2014, 12:46:27 PM
and flashlight day was two weeks ago ...  whoo hoo  ! ! !

nightcrawler

July 04, 2014, 10:13:40 PM
Happy 4th to everyone as well!!!

gearhounds

July 04, 2014, 06:43:12 AM
Happy 4th all!

nightcrawler

July 03, 2014, 09:47:57 PM
Anyone else getting a malware pop-up here on the forum?

nightcrawler

June 19, 2014, 12:32:22 PM
So that's what the silence was....the shout box was sleeping...I can buy that.  Grin

will

June 19, 2014, 04:31:15 AM
SCHSSSSS - no shouting - don't wake up this shoutbox    !!!!!!

Show 50 latest

Translate This Page

Calendar

September 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Upcoming Events
Autumnal Equinox
Upcoming Birthdays: The_LED_Museum (50)