FlashlightNews Forums A flashlight message board dedicated to the principles of democracy, equality and freedom of speech. Join us and help develop a community of flashlight enthusiasts committed to the growth of our hobby.
April 24, 2014, 08:17:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Luxor Light, brightest beam in the world  (Read 17666 times)
KingGlamis
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »

I thought some of you might be interested in the brightest beam in the world. I say "beam" instead of "light" because it's actually many lights focused together. Here is a story about it, I'll probably post other info later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Luxor sky beam is the highest profile symbol in a high-profile town. No matter where you are in the Las Vegas Valley, the light is a fixture, even a source of comfort for some.

"We get other comments like, 'No matter where I go in Las Vegas, if I can see the Luxor beam, I know I'm all right; even if I get lost, I look for the beam and find my way home,' " said John Lichtsteiner, a Luxor engineer.

There are no elevators to the top of the Luxor pyramid, and the few people who ever visit the pinnacle get there by climbing a steep series of long ladders. The first thing you learn at the top is that there is no giant light bulb. Instead, 39 individual lamps, housed in dark, sturdy reflectors sprout from the floor like a forest. They combine to create the light.

You won't find these on sale at Walmart. Each Xenon lamp costs about $1,200 and will last 2,000 hours, working more like a welder's arc than a light bulb. Just how much light do they generate when humming along together?

"We estimate we are at 40 billion candlepower for the whole thing," said Lichtsteiner. Each lamp is 7,000 watts. That's one billion candlepower per lamp.

It might seem excessive in these times of tight energy supplies, but Luxor has gone to great lengths to make the system more efficient. Operating hours are now limited, and more advanced equipment has been installed, but still, the electric bill for this contraption is a bit higher than yours at home. "It's $51 an hour, and $20 an hour of that is electricity," said Lichtsteiner.

It gets pretty hot in the lamp room, even without the light turned on --136 degrees on the day of our visit -- but if it's heat you want, try climbing that final ladder into the very top of the pyramid, where it's another 20 degrees hotter due to the glass walls.

The real show begins just after sundown, when the system automatically kicks in first with warning noises and flashes, then with the music and lights being turned on.
KingGlamis
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »

Here is a video of Criss Angel "supposedly" levitating over the Luxor Light. Of course all his tricks are fake, but this one is especially fake. You can clearly see a reflection of something he is standing on. If he was really "levitating" wouldn't he wave his legs around like he did with his arms?

But still, this is good video of the light itself, even if it is a relatively simple "trick."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKeSsh61XdY
electromage

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »

Here is a video of Criss Angel "supposedly" levitating over the Luxor Light. Of course all his tricks are fake, but this one is especially fake. You can clearly see a reflection of something he is standing on. If he was really "levitating" wouldn't he wave his legs around like he did with his arms?

But still, this is good video of the light itself, even if it is a relatively simple "trick."

I can't say that I'd be comfortable standing on a small platform 50 feet above the Luxor... even if it's a "trick", he's at least got guts.
laserdog

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:04:49 PM »

On Memorial Weekend of 1999 at Universal Studios when they opened Islands of Adventure the Guinness Book  of World Records was set by A P.R. Company along with Strong (makers of the Brite light) and sky traker owners across the nation.... it was 44+ billion candlepower. Using Britelights and Sky Trackers several records where set, the most beams of light in one place, the brightest beam of light, and one more I cannot think of at the moment. I was there working with a searchlight company from South Florida and received from Guinness the information on the record made at that time.
If the "Luxor" is still at 40 then it is not the official "World Record for the Brightest Beam Of Light".
 Perhaps they have modified or added a few more britelights.
But, the Official Brightest Beam of Light and/or the brightest beam in one location belongs to the P.R. company who organized the event at Universal back in May of 1999. Anyone can email Guinness World Records and get receive the information. If the LUXOR has modified their lighting equipment   to more candlepower my apologies.
LASERDOG cool

Jason BUsh
LaserDog Enterprises
nightcrawler
Administrator
Super Flashaholic

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »

Welcome to FNF, laserdog!!

And thanks for the info...I seemed to remember that the Luxor lighting was a record of some sort, but couldn't really recall any of the specifics as to when or how bright the lighting was. And I wasn't aware of the Universal Studios event...that's pretty cool. I'm familiar with the Sky Tracker firm (at least in name) and know that they're a pretty big player in the commercial spotlighting department.

I sure hope (with both lights) that any birds that are active at night stay the heck away from them...

....'blind as a bat' is one thing, but 'blind as a bird' is another. grin

Have you visited FlashlightNews.org today?
deusexaethera
Sr. Flashaholic

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:40:30 PM »

If my experience with halogen sconces is any indication, I bet that thing kills a holocaust of moths every night.  shocked

Anyone know if this is brighter or dimmer than the twin beams of light they had in NYC after 9/11?
CtheLight
Sr. Flashaholic

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:59:29 PM »

Can anyone explain this?Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Join Our Forum

Due to the massive number of spam registrations we have received over the past few months, forum registration has been disabled.

If you wish to join us, just email flashlightnews (at) gmail.com with your desired user name and password, and we'll manually activate your membership as soon as we can.

FN / FNF Search

Custom Search
Search posts on our forum as well as press releases from FlashlightNews

Recent Topics

[April 17, 2014, 11:36:52 PM]

[April 17, 2014, 11:35:49 PM]

[April 15, 2014, 08:23:42 AM]

[April 13, 2014, 09:35:08 AM]

[April 07, 2014, 09:04:09 AM]

[April 07, 2014, 09:02:12 AM]

[April 05, 2014, 10:23:34 PM]

[April 02, 2014, 05:02:22 AM]

[February 26, 2014, 09:01:11 PM]

[February 23, 2014, 04:21:36 PM]

ShoutBox

Last 10 Shouts:

Vic303

March 24, 2014, 02:47:38 PM
Anybody have a Novatac tactical tailcap they'd sell me cheap?

Lambda

March 21, 2014, 05:37:44 AM
Going to be 60F here today; steaks on the grill for sure

PhantomPhoton

March 20, 2014, 11:10:20 PM
Vernal Equinox... whoo hoo. Time for the northern hemisphere to thaw out.  Grin

gearhounds

March 10, 2014, 08:32:36 PM
70 degrees today- I think winter is done with us for the year. Bring on the thunder storms!

nightcrawler

March 03, 2014, 06:21:36 PM
Looks like we just had our last cold blast for the year...at least, I hope it's the last. I'm ready for summer!

gearhounds

March 03, 2014, 07:28:00 AM
Ok winter, we get it- you're not quite finished! Going to end up with 6-8" of the white stuff, and single digits tonight.

gearhounds

February 13, 2014, 10:22:41 PM
16" of snow this am- I love my snow blower  Grin

nightcrawler

February 08, 2014, 04:41:10 PM
several inches of snow on the ground here...and temps have been below freezing for a week or so.

nightcrawler

February 03, 2014, 11:01:16 PM
Took a year, but I'll be publishing an update to FN tomorrow morning.

gearhounds

January 21, 2014, 07:28:05 AM
Seems like we're getting ramped up again back east; 6-10 inches of snow predicted with nighttime single digit temps!

Show 50 latest

Translate This Page

Calendar

April 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Upcoming Events
Cinco de Mayo, Mother's Day
Upcoming Birthdays: csshih (22), Big Bob, TigerhawkT3 (28), Old-Lumens (59)